This recipe is adapted from http://beinggeekchic.com/ recipe.
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder (the good stuff)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup coffee, slightly cooled
- Chocolate Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare two 8-inch cake pans. Than spray the bottom with oil.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large mixing bowl), mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and oil. Slowly pour into the dry ingredients with the mixer on low.
- Stir in the vanilla and coffee until just combined, then split evenly among the prepared cake pans.
- Bake at 350 F for 30-40 minutes
- Cool 10 minutes in the cake pans, then turn out onto wire racks. Let sit for at least 2 hours but up to overnight to cool completely.
Assemble the Cake
- Place the first layer flat side up in the center of the cake board. Use an offset spatula to cover the top of the layer with frosting, then add the next layer (also flat side up)
- Switch to a flat spatula, and begin frosting the sides gently. Be careful not to pick up crumbs that will get stuck in the icing. You can also start with a very thin layer, freeze for 30-45 mins, then add a second coat.
- Serve and enjoy!
Want to get creative?
- Get a Dauntless symbol stencil and some powder sugar.
- Place the stencil on the cake and shake the sugar over it
- Lift the stencil and you have the dauntless fire!!